2021 Census Insights and Findings – Immigration and Ethnocultural Characteristics
- 13,030 people immigrated to the City of Vaughan in 2021, an increase of 2,240 people over the 2016 census
- Vaughan is home to 217 ethnic or cultural origins while Canada reported a total of 450 ethnic or cultural origins
- The top five ethnic or cultural origins (excluding Canadian) in Vaughan included Italian (85,030), Chinese (27,235), Jewish (25,325), Russian (18,245), and Indian (17,330).
- One in four people counted during the 2021 census are or have been a landed immigrant or permanent resident of Canada
INSIGHTS and Findings
Canada and Ontario
Canada’s population continues to be a mosaic of nations, races, and religions. In 2021 450 ethnic or cultural origins were reported, top ethnic origins in Canada included English (5.7 million), Irish (4.4 million), Scottish (4.4 million), and French (4.0 million). German, Italian, Ukrainian, Chinese and Indian were each reported by 1 million people in Canada.
In 2021 450 ethnic or cultural origins were reported in Canada.
Racialized groups in Canada have all experienced growth since 2016, South Asian, Chinese and black now represent 16.1% of Canada’s total population. The portrait of racialized groups varies across the country. For example, South Asian, Chinese and black populations are the largest racialized groups in Ontario while British Columbia is home to large populations of Chinese and South Asians.
One in four people counted during the 2021 census are or have been a landed immigrant or permanent resident of Canada.
Immigration makes up the largest share of the population in over 150 years. One in four people counted during the 2021 census are or have been landed immigrants or permanent residents in Canada. Just over 1.3 million new immigrants settled permanently in Canada between 2016 to 2021, the highest number of recent immigrants recorded in a census period. Asia and the Middle East remained the top continents of birth for most recent immigrants (62%). Almost one in five recent immigrants (18.6%) were born in India, making it the leading country of birth for recent immigrants to Canada. In contrast, the share of recent immigrants from Europe has continued to decline, falling from 61.6% in 1971 to 10.1% in 2021.
City of Vaughan
The City of Vaughan is a diverse community home to more than 217 ethnic or cultural origins. The top five ethnic or cultural origins (excluding Canadian) in Vaughan included Italian (85,030), Chinese (27,235), Jewish (25,325), Russian (18,245), and Indian (17,330).
There are more than 217 reported ethnic or cultural origins in the City of Vaughan.
In 2021 13,030 people immigrated to the City of Vaughan an increase of 2,240 people since 2016. Recent immigrants in 2021 have come from the following continents, Asia (9,550), Europe (1,735), Americas (1,075), and Africa (650). The top 5 countries by place of birth for recent immigrants included China (2,395), India (1,595), Pakistan (1,010), Philippines (840) and Iran (730). Recent immigrants make up 4.03 per cent of Vaughan’s total population in 2021 a difference of 0.53 per cent when compared to York Region where recent immigrants represent 4.56 per cent of the region’s population.
2021 CENSUS RELEASE SCHEDULE
Statistics Canada will release 2021 Census topics throughout 2022. Economic Development will continue to monitor and provide Council with information on Vaughan’s growing demographics and economy.
- November 30, 2022 – Education, labour, the language of work, commuting, and instruction in the official minority language.