Starter Company Plus
The Vaughan Starter Company Plus program is a business plan training and education program and training continues to be delivered. The opportunity to apply for a provincial grant is currently fully subscribed. Pending funding confirmation with the Province, additional cohort deadlines may be approved for future dates.
The Vaughan Starter Company Plus program is designed to help your business start, grow or expand. Program participants receive tailored training and pending funding confirmation with the Province, may have the opportunity to apply for a provincial grant.
The program will provide entrepreneurs with training to help develop their business plan, marketing strategies, budget and financial forecasts. Eligible applicants will be supported under one of the following two streams:
- Existing brick and mortar businesses, with physical storefronts or office or industrial locations
- New start-up and home-based businesses who may be looking to start or expand their businesses
1. For existing brick and mortar business, training will be targeted and focused on:
- Supporting business owners in developing digital skills and improving their online presence
- Adopting new business strategies, such as e-commerce, that will allow them to continue generating revenue amid the emergency measures, and once the economy begins to slowly open back up.
2. For new start-up and home-based businesses, training will cover creating a comprehensive business plan, marketing strategy, budget and financial forecasts. This will include training focused on:
- Conducting market research and trends analyses
- Marketing, value proposition, advertising, promotional strategies, including digital and online
- Operations (Legal, HR, risk and insurance)
Budgeting and financial forecasting
To receive further information about the program, please complete the Starter Company Plus eligibility survey. All eligible participants will be invited to attend training sessions on an ongoing basis.
Important: The opportunity to apply for a provincial grant is currently fully subscribed. Pending funding confirmation with the Province, additional cohort deadlines may be approved for future dates.
To be eligible for grant funding, participants must:
- Be at least 18 years old at time of application;
- Not be attending school full time;
- Be a resident of Ontario;
- Be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident;
- Not currently be enrolled in other self-employment or entrepreneurship training/financing initiatives financed by government-funded organizations;
- Not have previously received a Starter Company or Starter Company Plus grant
In addition, for businesses to be eligible under the existing brick and mortar businesses stream, businesses must:
- Be located in and operate in Vaughan
- Have operated out of a commercial storefront or office/industrial space at a Location other than the applicant’s principal residence
- Have access to at least 3 months working capital (either cash savings or access to credit)
- Be an independent business and operate at arm’s length from family business ventures
- Have less than 10 full-time employees (25 if a restaurant) (or equivalent)
Businesses not eligible to receive funding include:
- Incorporated businesses that are controlled directly or indirectly by a person who would not be eligible for a Starter Company Plus Award
- Commissioned sales
- Not-for-profit or charitable enterprises
- Multi-level marketing ventures
Dates and Deadlines
The opportunity to apply for a provincial grant is currently fully subscribed. Pending funding confirmation with the Province, additional cohort deadlines may be approved for future dates.
All program participants will receive 50% off two weeks of co-working space at the HUB Vaughan.
Successful grant applicants will receive a $200 credit voucher to the HUB Vaughan services.