Starter Company Plus
The Vaughan Starter Company Plus program is designed for you and your business. Receive tailored training, mentorship and the opportunity to apply for a provincial grant of up to $5,000 to help your business grow.
The Vaughan Starter Company Plus program is designed to help your business start, grow or expand. Program participants receive tailored training, mentorship and have the opportunity to apply for a provincial grant of up to $5,000.
The program will provide entrepreneurs with training to help develop their business plan, marketing strategies, budget and financial forecasts. Eligible applicants will be supported under one of the following two streams:
- Existing brick and mortar businesses, with physical storefronts or office or industrial locations
- New start-up and home-based businesses who may be looking to start or expand their businesses
1. For existing brick and mortar business, training will be targeted and focused on:
- Supporting business owners in developing digital skills and improving their online presence
- Adopting new business strategies, such as e-commerce, that will allow them to continue generating revenue amid the emergency measures, and once the economy begins to slowly open back up.
2. For new start-up and home-based businesses, training will cover creating a comprehensive business plan, marketing strategy, budget and financial forecasts. This will include training focused on:
- Conducting market research and trends analyses
- Marketing, value proposition, advertising, promotional strategies, including digital and online
- Operations (Legal, HR, risk and insurance)
- Budgeting and financial forecasting
To receive further information about the program, please complete the Starter Company Plus eligibility survey. All eligible participants will be invited to attend training sessions on an ongoing basis.
Important: The opportunity to apply for Provincial grant funding through Starter Company Plus is competitive. Not all program participants will receive a provincial grant, but all are eligible to participate in training. Priority for grant funding decisions will be based on the quality and viability of the application in terms of the level of demonstrated traction : (ie; minimum viable product, sales, subscribers/users, pilot projects underway) and realistic prospects for immediate local economic impact (i.e., jobs, use of commercial property, business expansion). Final approval for a Provincial Grant lies with a Regional Grant Administration (RGA) made up of economic development professionals from across York Region. The City of Vaughan’s Small Business team will help applicants prepare their grant applications for the RGA through training and mentorship programs.
To be eligible for grant funding, participants must:
- Be at least 18 years old at time of application;
- Not be attending school full time;
- Be a resident of Ontario;
- Be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident;
- Not currently be enrolled in other self-employment or entrepreneurship training/financing initiatives financed by government-funded organizations;
- Not have previously received a Starter Company or Starter Company Plus grant
In addition, for businesses to be eligible under the existing brick and mortar businesses stream, businesses must:
- Be located in and operate in Vaughan
- Have operated out of a commercial storefront or office/industrial space at a Location other than the applicant’s principal residence
- Have access to at least 3 months working capital (either cash savings or access to credit)
- Be an independent business and operate at arm’s length from family business ventures
Have less than 10 full-time employees (25 if a restaurant) (or equivalent)
Businesses not eligible to receive funding include:
- Incorporated businesses that are controlled directly or indirectly by a person who would not be eligible for a Starter Company Plus Award
- Commissioned sales
- Not-for-profit or charitable enterprises
- Multi-level marketing ventures
Dates and Deadlines
For those participants interested in applying for the grant, the deadline to complete training and submit their business plan and budget will be Monday, October 25, at 10:00 AM. We encourage participants to submit their completed business plan and budget early, as spots are limited and may fill before the deadline date.
Please note that pending funding confirmation with the Province, additional cohort deadlines may be approved for future dates.
All program participants will receive 50% off two weeks of co-working space at the HUB Vaughan.
Successful grant applicants will receive a $200 credit voucher to the HUB Vaughan services.