Performing Arts Centre Feasibility Study
The Vaughan Metropolitan Centre (VMC) is an emerging downtown poised to be the financial, innovation and cultural centre of Vaughan.
To complement the growing resident and employee population and to leverage public transit and infrastructure investments, the City is investing in creative placemaking and exploring the feasibility of a creative hub. In 2018, the City of Vaughan commissioned a Feasibility Study for a Cultural Arts Centre in the VMC.
Phase I (the Feasibility Study) concluded that market demand and community need is evident to support a cultural hub in Vaughan’s downtown given the critical mass of high-order transit and highway infrastructure, open spaces and ongoing population, business and employment growth in the VMC.
Phase II (Site Selection and Development) will include a review and update of
the operational models developed in Phase I and a facilitated consultation process with VMC landowners and impacted stakeholders that results in the final selection of a site and partnership model.
- In 2018, Hariri Pontarini Architects, AMS Planning and Research, and FDA were retained to complete the study.
- Phase 1 was completed in 2019.
- Phase 2 is expected to be complete in Q4 2021.
- April 2019 – Phase I: Needs Assessment Report
- November 2019 – Phase I: Final Report
- December 2019 – Feasibility Study for a Cultural Arts Centre in the Vaughan Metropolitan Centre (VMC Sub-Committee Report)
- December 2019 – VMC Cultural Centre: A Creative Hub (Presentation to VMC Sub-Committee)
- March 2021 – Phase II: Development of a Cultural and Performing Arts Centre in the VMC (VMC Sub-Committee Report)
You might also be interested in:
Vaughan Metropolitan Centre Website
The Vaughan Metropolitan Centre (VMC) is an emerging downtown poised to be the financial, innovation...
These facilities in Vaughan and York Region provide space, tools and technology to support innovative...
Get Involved in Culture Programming
Let us know about your event or join the VaughanLink Volunteer program.
Are you short on time but eager to learn more about Vaughan’s economy or how...
OUTSIDE THE BOX: portraits of innovation | technology Exhibition Book
The interpretive bridge that connects ART to innovation, technology and entrepreneurism is not too long...
smARTcities: Exploring the digital frontier Exhibition Book
Ron Wild’s creative digital approach to bridging the divide between ART and SCIENCE is manifested...
Economic and Cultural Development Department Services for Business Brochure
The Economic and Cultural Development department works to make Vaughan a place where entrepreneurship, business,...
Public Art Program
The City-Wide Public Art Program is the first of its kind for Vaughan and is...